Creating a Gluten Free and Vegan Tiramisu
Updated: Aug 3, 2020
Given the fact this recipe is gluten free and vegan lets take a moment to appreciate we have already disregarded the rules for the classic tiramisu.. and this is not a classic tiramisu recipe.
This attempt is heavily influenced from Tasty I did make a few changes. So please go reference their video also and I do hope you enjoy this gluten free version. I have been able to adapt.
1 cup gluten free all purpose (bobs red mill)
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 tablespoon potato starch
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp of salt ( I am used smoked salt)
1/4 cup vegan butter
1/4 cup aquafaba (the liquid from chickpeas)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 almond milk or non dairy milk.
Vegan Creme for layers
1.5 cups of soaked cashews (boil for 15 mins to soften if you don’t soak overnight)
1 can coconut cream
1 container toffutti cream cheese
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Coffee bath for lady fingers
1 cup strong and I mean very strong brewed coffee
1 tsp vanillas
Optional: If you wanted you can add 1 tablespoon dark
Method for making Lady fingers in Steps.
Make the ladyfingers:
1.In a medium bowl, sift together ...yes, please sift the flours, potato starch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Sifting is really important.
2. In a separate medium bowl, cream together room temperature vegan butter and sugar with an electric hand mixer until fully combined. Add the aquafaba and vanilla and mix until you have reach the ultimate fluffiness.
3. Add dry flour mixture to one bowl and beat until combined. You can go ahead and transfer the batter to a piping bag and leave in refrigerator in a tall cup with the piping nose facing down not cut while you clean the kitchen and prep sheets.
4. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and grease with nonstick spray.
5. Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
6. Bake the ladyfingers for 10 -14 mins. Note: Here's the thing don't leave these in the oven and walk away for more than 7 min. You'll want to keep an eye on them if the bottoms start to become golden turn oven off. Let the cookies sit in the over to cool for at least 7mins, this way they will become crispy. Use your best judgment. These are delicate cookies and easy to over bake.
7. Be patient.
How to Make the Mascarpone Creme
Add the soaked cashews, coconut cream , toffutti cream cheese, sugar, salt, vanilla to a blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside. Use a high powered blender or food processor. We are going for a super creamy consistency here.
Coffee Bath for Cookies
In a bowl that is wide enough to dip cookies, combine the coffee, vanilla, and sugar. It's better to dip cookies in a room temp mixture or even cold. You do not want to over soak the cookies. No soggy cookies.
Put it all together
I decided to use a free form non stick pan. You can use any dish you like. I realized I only made enough cookies for two layers. To find that out I pre-assemble the cookies in a pan to see how many layers I could make. I also recommend you do this.
When you have all your components together you can start by dipping the cookies and then placing in the pan for your first layer. Then proceed to add the cream, dust with cocoa powder and or grated chocolate, and proceed to repeat steps.
I even added bananas in between a layer for some whimsy. But this is totally optional of course.
Grated chocolate can be a nice addition.